Monday, January 23, 2012

Vesta Class Third Anniversary!

I wanted to type an entire essay, but lets cut that: Vesta class became 3 years old this month, time to celebrate: Wallpaper in 2560x1440 can be downloaded by clicking the image


Trivia:
  • The saucer of the Vesta is designed to be separable in case of an emergency
  • For the last 2 years the sensors have been covered by white or black gel pads that I replaced by transparent membranes this weekend.
  • This is the first image where the Vesta is firing weapons. Including the forward phaser cannons, in equal yield mode.
  • Back in November 2008 Andrew Probert came up with the flowing pylon idea, he made a quick swept forward concept  as well.
  • The 3DS Max file of the Vesta is around 1,5GB in size and takes up to 10gb of ram during renders.
  • A render of the Vesta takes 45 minutes in decent quality nowadays compared to 10 hours in 2009.
  • Since Friday evening I worked about 20 hours to create this image.
Looking forward to next week, will work on Voyager and on something that has to do with rapid prototyping.

Somewhere deep in my mind I'm thinking about a new Enterprise as well. Also I'm wondering what would happen if I would do my version of the TOS-E. Sadly my time is limited, and I need to pick my projects with care. Voyager first! :D

See it became somewhat of an essay anyway!